Tuesday, April 27, 2010

GOAL: La Jolla Half Marathon


This was no small task... I guess saying you have run a half marathon and saying you have run the La Jolla Half Marathon is a whole different ball game. The course was grueling! Keep in mind I trained on it in parts. It twisted, tilted and roller coastered from Del Mar to La Jolla cove. Unlike the Carlsbad Marathon there weren't people and bands cheering you a long the entire way. There were long stretches of just sneakers hitting pavement, people pacing their breath and the breeze humming and we wizzed by. I typically run on hills along the coast though not like this... these are steep and windy including the down hills which you would want to give into gravity to help you plow down them but would find yourself having to use most of your energy to keep you from falling.

As I would run on level ground it felt as if people were just passing me by but then on the hills I would pass them by because to me I haven't successfully completed the task unless I have run the entire thing. So its less of a "race" and more of a "run" for me. My boyfriend and dog would be there at a few corners which naturally bring a smile to my face take off the heaviness and allow me to enjoy at least a little of it. The first part of the race it was all gratitude... I was so lucky to have a body, have a trainer and be alive to do this.... the second which was after a 420' elevation run was all about just finishing. KEEP GOING! I would say to myself, if I am this lucky then I can't give anything less than 100 percent, even if that meant digging even deeper than I have ever dug inside myself.

So many times would I want to pause and walk but I dug and dug and found a little extra to keep going. I remembered the people who supported me, people who are suffering and all the others in between that are less fortunate and felt obligated to power through! I finish the race and disclose to my trainer what it took for me to finish and she replied "well I think you are ready for a marathon.... that is exactly what it takes to run a full marathon." I have more respect for runners now more than ever... they aren't just crazy they have figured out the secret..."we are more powerful than we can even imagine." Even when we do imagine this some part of us opens up to something else.... god is in the mystery...

Love to all who supported me, those who didn't finish the race and all who have suffered. Together we remind each other of our possibilities!.... limitless!

No comments:

Post a Comment